Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How the "Information Age" is Choking Our Society... and What Should We Do?

Very in-depth title, no? That's exactly where my mind takes me today... a rather heady draught.

"In the place of Truth we have discovered facts; for moral absolutes we have substituted moral ambiguity. We now communicate with everyone and say absolutely nothing. We have reconstructed the Tower of Babel and it is a television antenna. A thousand voices producing a daily parody of democracy; in which everyone's opinion is afforded equal weight, regardless of substance or merit. Indeed, it can even be argued that opinions of real weight tend to sink with barely a trace of television's ocean banalities.

Our society finds Truth too strong a medicine to digest undiluted. In its purest form Truth is not a polite tap on the shoulder; it is a hallowing reproach." - Ted Koppel


How true this is. In this age of facts, figures, statistics, and data, how attentive are we to what is really going on in our world? It seems the never-ending sleaze of film, music, video games, television, and the internet are clouding our vision (see 1 Nephi 8), and quite often can make us lose our way altogether, becoming lost on forbidden (or forgotten) paths in life. Let me try to illuminate light on my points.

Rather than a banquet of good information, we are currently gorging ourselves on an all-you-can-eat buffet of both bad and good; mostly bad. At the Golden Corral of information, we are infatuated with the desert bar and the fried foods. For instance, on the same web page (or radio station, or television channel, take your pick), I can find news headlines about the conflict in Libya, politicians' opinions (from both sides of the fence) on immigration reform, and Catherine Zeta-Jones' bipolar disorder battle. Guess which one gets the most facetime on screen/air? If you guessed Catherine Zeta-Jones, you get a gold star.

Not that there's anything wrong with Catherine Zeta-Jones. Heck, she was one of the main reasons I've seen several movies (Mask of Zorro, The Terminal, and I would love to see her in Micheal Scott's "Threat Level: Midnight"). But to compare a "here today, forgotten tomorrow" celebrity's private psyche battles with a very real, very destructive and volatile conflict in Libya... One side lacks real clout.

The problem I'm getting at is that, in spite of up-to-date news correspondence and instantaneous communication power... nobody cares. At least, the majority of the public doesn't care.

I find I don't even really care. I have very little to no idea of the real story going on in Libya. Frankly, because I'm tired. I'm tired of having to sift through all the hidden agendas, the politically correct quagmire that our "Information Age" has foisted upon us. Because of the way I've embedded myself in social networking and techno gadgetry, I've become a sheep. A part of the herd.

It's not all my fault, though. Nowadays, if a news story isn't a 5-minute soundbyte, or a 2-minute video clip, who honestly pays attention? If an article takes up more than what would be, in print, approximately two pages, why bother reading it? If it takes too much brainpower to capture the media's point, then it's obviously not worth it. And why bother even looking at the news, when one is too busy scouring facebook for old friends that you probably won't talk to once your "friends" anyway? (My opinion - they need an "Add as an Acquaintance" option)

All forms of audiovisual media are to blame. They prey upon the fact that the human mind is lazy, and craves having information HANDED to it, already interpreted so that we don't have to do it. Rather than sifting and searching through this ocean of thought and consciousness roiling before us for healthy, fulfilling Truth, we opt for the pre-digested, nutrient deficient gruel in front of us. Because it's easier. Because that's what we are bombarded with, day in and day out, on our screens, earphones, and speakers. People don't learn anything anymore; thanks to google, we can have all the answers (even the wrong ones) handed to us on an LCD platter. Heaven forbid we open up a book or a newspaper; I'm too busy IMing, tweeting, and stalking on facebook to read!

Now I'm not saying technology and information is evil, and I'm also not saying that these problems are solely relegated to this time and this place in Earth's history. What I am saying is that we, as a human race, need to wake up. We, as children of God (oh my, religion, another problem for society), need to wake up. Much easier said than done, and I'm not even sure I'll be successful doing that personally. But I do know I'd prefer to have Truth in my life than what happened on Jersey Shore's last episode, or what Michelle Obama served at the President's Super Bowl party. Yikes.

So in the midst of this technological jumble, this "Tower of Babel", to quote Mr. Koppel, what is to be done? I certainly know nothing that I do will make any kind of effect. I doubt that this blog will be read by more than five people, honestly. But what can be done? Well, to start, nothing.

The only way to counteract this flow of corrupted information that is going by at blistering speeds is to slow down. That's right, slow down. Stop. Think. Think for yourself. I've been learning to do this in English class. Whether from just caution or panicky paranoia, I have been keeping an eye out for liberalistic undertones in my English classes. And they have NOT been lacking. From illegal immigration, to sweatshop disputes, to environmental issues, there have been plenty of opportunities for my classmates and I to become drenched in political agendas, from both sides (mainly liberal, though *shudder*). In this wilderness, I've been practicing my innate ability to play "Devil's advocate" (something that probably has led to the demise of many friendships and relationships in my life, haha). When most of these issues are looked at slowly, and in a deliberate manner, one can often spot connections or inconsistencies.

Finally, I think the best thing that can be done is to just live the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know, more moral and religious vicissitudes from my end. But honestly, the best thing any individual can do is slow down, wait, and concentrate on the most important things in life. Hopefully, this modern-day William Randolph Hearst free-for-all will simmer down.

Then, I can blog and facebook in peace...

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am glad to be counted as one of the 5 readers of your blog! Now, I will take you back to your previous post, item #2. I think you should change that to a number 3 and seriously consider a career in writing. You are such a great writer!

    And while I'm at it, I'll just say that number one...nevermind. Gotta watch out for the other 4 readers...

    ReplyDelete